Ashley Bathgate “is terrifically present in every detail.” — The New Haven Independent
Ashley began her cello studies at age 9 and by age 14 she was performing regularly, continuing her musical education through her graduate studies at Yale University. Subsequently, music education is a cornerstone of her work and she is committed to providing youth with the same exceptional opportunities she was offered as a music student.
From a one-hour master class to multi-part residencies, Ashley will work closely with you to create a bespoke program for your students.
Workshop / Lec Dem [50-60 minutes with 10 minute Q&A]
Ashley discusses her sources of inspiration and her decision to focus on music by today’s composers, as well as her views on career development and finding a foothold in the industry. Performing excerpts of works she has both commissioned and recorded for her instrument, Ashley will also discuss the utilization of electronics in her concert programs in addition to the role that technology currently plays in live performance.
Recommended for college or graduate school levels with a specialization in music performance and/or composition. Can be tailored for non-music majors as well.
More [Length + content tailored to your community’s desired message]
Ashley participates in a variety of formal and informal community and educational engagements including:
in-school performance assemblies & student matinees
speaking to youth & other community groups
coaching new/classic music
meet & greets
panelist/judge for competitions & contests
Partial list of Education & Outreach engagements
As a soloist or guest artist:
- CSFU, Fullerton, CA – Lecture/demo with InterArts Collaborative Projects students, 2017
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
– Musicians in the Jungle: student Q & A session, 2016
– EXCELcast : podcast interview for UofM EXCEL program, 2016
College Conservatory of Music(CCM), Cincinnati, OH
– masterclass reading of student compositions, 2016
VCFA, Montpelier, VT
–artist in residency: workshops & performing student compositions, 2016
Keene State College, Keene, NH
– Music Workshop, lecture/demo on collaboration with Lil Buck, 2016
Dartmouth University, Hanover, NH
– with composer Fay Wang, 2014
Yale University, New Haven, CT
– Panelist for Careers in Music, 2013 & 2014
– Solo lecture and demo for Jack Vees’course Music and Technology, 2014
Campbell Ghent & Camphill Copake, Ghent and Copake, NY, 2014
University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
– Southern Exposure New Music Series, 2013
Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI
– Teaching Residencies, 2012 & 2014
St. Thomas University, St. Paul, MN
– Liquid Music Series lecture and demo
Music Beyond the Chamber, New York, NY
– Faculty member, 2013-present
For more information or to book Ashley for an educational engagement, please click here.